Another end of year list!
Which concerts in DC were my favorite in 2021?
August 2021 saw the return of live music to DC, and the excitement at the first concert I attended in August at The Anthem was certainly palpable.
I was able to witness 15 concerts in 2021, between August and December, so here are the top half.
2022, please stay strong with music.
Countdown to the top 8 concerts:
8. Allen Stone @ Lincoln Theatre (12/8/21) – A evening of Allen Stone’s smooth and soulful harmonies, without a backing band.
7. Modest Mouse w/The Districts @ The Anthem (8/17/21) – Felt good to get back to concerts after almost a 1-1/2 years away. The openers, The Districts, are a cracking band as well, and if you need just one new song to boost your playlist, try “Velour and Velcro”.
6. Deep Sea Diver w/Diane Coffee @ Union Stage (9/27/21) – Deep Sea Diver is an excellent Seattle rock band. Their “Impossible Weight” was my favorite song from 2020. And they kicked butt live! Diane Coffee, who co-headlined, is also an incredible performer, along with his band.
5. Wolf Alice @ Union Stage (11/15/21) – Last time I witnessed them live in Baltimore, they were my #1 show of that year. This show was awesome too. I was a bit skeptical of their new album, Blue Weekend, after hearing a few songs, but it has grown on me quite a bit and I highly recommend checking it out if you haven’t.
4. Middle Kids @ 9:30 Club (9/22/21) – Their latest album, Today We’re the Greatest, is great, not just today but always. I had it on rotation for much of 2021. Their show at the 9:30 Club was definitely a highlight for me in 2021.
Fun Fact: In Deep Sea Diver’s video for “Wishing”, you can see the 9:30 Club at minute 1:57.
3. Holiday Pops w/Ingrid Michaelson and the National Symphony Orchestra @ Kennedy Center (12/11/21) – Even if holiday slash Christmas music isn’t your thing, you would still have enjoyed Ingrid’s take on some classics and a few of her non-holiday music. And the NSO was in fine form as usual.
2. Jade Bird @ Sixth & I Synagogue (10/16/21) – A British folk rock singer, Jade is always amazing live. She really liked the synagogue’s atmosphere and the concertgoers really liked her.
1. CHVRCHES @ The Anthem (11/30/21) – I’ve been able to witness CHVRCHES live five times now, and this show was their best.